Wednesday 22 August 2012

Stopping the Stiff Upper Lip

Surprisingly I found my friend's house after rotating the map several times and asking people for directions (which, incidentally, was not useful since I was mis-informed by one bitch lady and had to walk a lot longer than necessary).
Lately I've been on a mission: Reversing The Stiff Upper Lip Stereotype. It all hit me when I was on the tube and no-one was talking: people in Britain aren't friendly. Ordinarily I'd take this to be part of our wacky culture but I was watching some chick flicks and I realised that I'm never going to meet someone in a shop, start talking and BAM fall in love. Instead we would lock eyes, look away in embarassment and then go our separate ways and never see each other again.
Think I'm being silly?
Here's some evidence.
Today I was on the bus and I saw this really cute guy who was tall, dark and handsome (every girl's dream) and we locked eyes for a couple of seconds and then... nothing. He didn't talk to me, I didn't smile at him and violins didn't start playing.
This is why fishing is a pain in the arse if you're British - talking to strangers is associated with being insane. And I'm on a mission to make this stop.
Next year I'm hoping to start chatting with strangers I meet on the bus and people I meet at school. I want to be friendly with people and avoid being called "antisocial" by my mother...

Tomorrow is Doomsday a.k.a. Result's Day and to say I'm scared would be as obvious as saying Nigella Lawson is gorgeous.
Wish me luck!
Keep you posted,
Grammar Gal xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment