Thursday 19 April 2012

The Dress Policy Dilemma

To start with, I think everyone has a right to their own opinions (Except Hitler - he was just a twat). 

In my school there's a "smart casual" policy - it's not specific and loads of people wear short skirts/see-through blouses. There's a lot of controversy over whether we should introduce a "smart" policy and many people support this, thinking it would be easier to find an outfit. This argument is perfectly reasonable - I must confess that I find it difficult to choose my outfits, so doing it everyday could be a pain in the arse. 
Nevertheless, I still don't want the "smart" policy. In fact, I don't want the "smart-casual" policy either - it should be "wear what you want" like it is in America.

However, many people also think the "smart" policy should be introduced because girls can get away with wearing short skirts with the "smart-casual" policy and this is supposedly scandalous or something... 
Call me anti-old-fashioned but I don't think it matters whether you wear a bin-bag to school. It certainly doesn't matter if you wear a short skirt to school (in my opinion).
If my friend was wearing a see-through blouse and a short skirt I wouldn't judge her or think of her any differently. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less what people are dressed like! 

But this isn't just about the school policy. It's got me thinking: people who wear short skirts are deemed "slags" or "sluts" - and both of these words have negative implications. In my opinion, what you wear doesn't define you. Personally, I haven't got a style - I wear baggy t-shirts but also wear short skirts. And I don't think it's society's place to put labels on people. I am obviously in support of wearing-whatever-you-like, as shown through my "Dress Like A 'Slut' Day" which I hold everytime I feel depressed about exams or whatever.

Some people say that dressing like a "slut" is attracting negative male attention (in school this would be from male teachers). Well I just disagree wholeheartedly. When I have my DLASD I never do it to make myself seem more desirable to men. I do it because I like wearing short skirts (they give the illusion that my legs are longer than they actually are) and I like wearing V-necked tops (paired with my Tiffany necklace they always looks awesome) - so why can't I do this for school? Many people think that if I dressed as a "slut" they would feel uncomfortable. I sympathise - everyone has different opinions - but at the end of the day it's my choice what I wear, and if you valued me as a person then the way I dress should have no impact on your opinion/respect for me.

So, personally, I think it's fine for people to turn up in see-through blouses and short skirts (I really don't see the problem - if the concern is that it attracts negative attention from male teachers then I think this is an invalid argument since they should know better than to look at girls young enough to be their daughters).
But, hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinions and the last thing I'd want to do is force my opinions down people's throats..!

Keep you posted,
Grammar Gal xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment