Monday 2 February 2015

Teenage Rebellion

In every teenage film we've ever watched, there's always been the Bad Boy. His smile is so dreamy that our hearts go huminahumina-ahhhh when he walks in the room, his bum is so yummy that we want it on toast for breakfast, and - if he's Patrick Swayze then, boy, he can dance!
But in real life, the 'bad boy' is often nothing but trouble; look at how upset Taylor Swift gets in her 'I Knew You Were Trouble' music video. It seems that 'bad boy' is synonymous with 'twat face'.

But now that I'm at uni and I'm in my final year of being a teenager, I can't help but feel nostalgic... Nostalgic for the times that I thought a bad boy was The Coolest Thing Ever, nostalgic for when I was 13 and watching Dirty Dancing and looking forward to the days I would sneak out of the house to meet the guy of my dreams...
Life didn't really turn out that way. I was a total geek from 15-19: if my parents told me I couldn't go somewhere then I didn't go. Once, I did like I guy (who remembers the Knight in Shiny Abercrombie & Fitch?!) and my parents wouldn't let me see him...and, yeah, I did meet up with him in secret. But I still don't think that counts as teenage rebellion (besides, I came clean like a week later!)

I'm worried about entering my Twenties without having gone completely cray cray. I'm not saying I want to go out with a bad boy - I happen to have the best boyfriend in existence. Literally - you know that old Carpenters' song "They Long to be Close to You" ? He is the guy that that was written about (OK, not techincally - since neither of us were born then... but, you get my jist!)
Oh, now I'm daydreaming about how perfect my boy is...

Let's backtrack. Maybe teenage rebellion is overrated - I've never majorly fallen out with my parents because I snuck out the window or thrown a massive house party when they were away for the weekend - but so what?? Yes, I did choose Textbooks over Tequila, but I'm still a totally happy person. Maybe the films are wrong - we make our own fun.

Having said that, I'm planning to make the most of this term at uni to have an absolute ball!
Keep you posted,
Grammar Gal

No comments:

Post a Comment