Tuesday 28 January 2014


Lately I've been reading critical stuff for my English Coursework and I've come across this guy called Freud. Some of the things he comes up with are a bit wacky (ie that guys fancy their mothers) but some of his theories totally hit the nail on the head. My favourite is the Madonna-Whore complex: that's the theory that boys either respect you but don't desire you (as a Virgin Mary figure) or want to have sex with you but won't then respect you (as a Whore).
I mean, that just sums up teenage boys, right?!
But this has made me think... Do we, as women, willingly try to conform to these categories? When I was the Mayoress of Singletown I used to wear the most outrageous outfits- see through, ridiculously short and often rather tight. But now that I have a boyfriend I've totally changed - I still wear short skirts but I'm much more subtle because I want his respect. But I have literally run out of clothes - I'm wearing a shamelessly seethrough top today and I feel so embarrassed!!
Do we all dress to impress? Do we try to confirm to the Madonna to avoid being the whore?
Don't get me wrong, it's fun dressing like Jackie-O instead of Marilyn for a change, but the ability to dress promiscuously is a privilege that all you singletons should not take for granted! Cxx

No comments:

Post a Comment